Thursday, November 1, 2007

New Favorite

That is a song by Allison Krauss that I love.

I am referring to DD. I can't remember the last time I felt this conflicted.

I need to start by offering the disclaimer: I know I am not emotionally ready to be in a relationship... I know I have only been divorced for weeks... only been separated for 7 months... with the same man for 10 years. I have been dating a lot, meeting lots of guys, some of them really nice and fun to be with... Then along comes this one.

Never before has someone been so sweet to me or been so clear and up front about how interested they are in me. I won't lie, it's flattering! Who doesn't want to hear how wonderful they are? I like how he will give me kisses on my forehead in front of his mother and friends. He sends me text messages telling me he misses me when he can't see me... telling me how lucky he is to know me. I've never had a guy say that stuff to me or be so happy to be with me. I like that he listens when I talk. That he is willing to go out with 5 of my girlfriends that he hasn't met because it's what I wanted to do and he wanted to be with me.

All that said, it feels like it is happening too fast... we have seen each other 13 out of the last 15 days! Tonight we are having dinner and I have to tell him that we need to slow down - A LOT... and I am dreading it. I don't want to hurt his feelings and I don't want to push him away... I also want to make sure I am not using him as a rebound. That we are building a solid friendship as a base for something more down the road if we go that route... The time we are spending together reminds me a lot of how Steve and I started - hot, heavy and FAST... I don't want a repeat of that... (no offense, Wasband). I really like this guy... I just need to make sure I am not getting carried away.

5 comments:

Corinne said...

You're being really thoughtful. I'm so excited for you - that part of a relationship is such a RUSH. I think you're smart to take your time :)

Lauren Maley said...

Just wondering how it went. Hopefully the way you wanted it to! I love you!

Leah said...

Adrienne--I'm glad you're trying to take your time--that's really smart, although easier said than done. Stay strong. You have a LOT of people that love and care about you, all rooting for you and some happiness (I mean, rooting for YOUR happiness...). :-) You deserve all the love and tenderness and attention and consideration and compassion and support and humor and everything else that hopefully comes with a good relationship. Pray, and ask the Lord to help you during this time when you're making all these new decisions about your life. I love you so much and so I'm glad I'm at least in the same state as you (I mean Maine). :-) You are doing so well and are growing so much--I stand all amazed. :-D LOVE YOU!!!! xoxoxo

Sarah said...

I second what your mom said, A. I love you!

erin sheely said...

wow a...you go. relationships can be so tricky...especially when they are starting out. good for you for using your head.