Thursday, February 8, 2007

Craving Caramel Corn


I have very fond memories of my mom, Meagan and I sitting on the green couch in our duplex in Sugar House (Utah) eating warm, gooey, chewy caramel corn with spoons from the popcorn bowl. Yes, we had a bowl dedicated to popcorn. Popcorn is a big deal in my family. We used to have it at Donee & Grandpa Rick's house every time we went over. Grandpa Rick has used a variety of methods over the years but the current - and my favorite - is the pan on the stove (see image on the right). I think this makes the best popcorn. I digress... I was talking about my memories of caramel corn. I remember being 8 years old, in my body cast and being such a pain in the butt! My poor mother, the only things I remember willing eating during that time are pepperoni pizza and caramel corn. I'm not sure how she managed to tolerate me for those 3 months...
Last night I decided I was going to make it. I had the ingredients (listed below) and was ready to go... I was only missing 1 thing - a popcorn popper! I was talking to my mother on the phone telling her I was going to try cooking it on the stove like Steve does, she suggested I could cook it in the microwave. I responded with yeah, that would work, except I don't have a microwave! She thought that was a riot.
I managed to pop the corn without burning it, and it turned out pretty well... not as perfect as Steve's, but good enough to be covered in caramel. I got all the ingredients in the pan and realized I added white sugar not brown! GRRR!! Start over. Next batch I totally over cooked to the point that this morning it was like a brick in a bowl!
I refuse to give up, especially when it comes to cooking something... I will try it until I get it right at least once. I bought everything I needed on my way into work this morning - including a candy thermometer so I won't cook it past the soft ball stage which is clearly what happened last night.
For those ready to try for themselves:
dry popcorn, kernels picked out
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 cup butter (not margarine)
2 cups packed brown sugar
cook to softball stage, poor over popcorn. I like to add peanuts. Can form into popcorn balls or eat from the big bowl with a spoon :)

5 comments:

Sarah said...

How is it that I didn't know you had a blog? I swear I am always out of the loop! Anyway, wahoo...and now I feel the need for some carmel corn.

Corinne said...

YUM. My mommy always made that for us too. ALWAYS sounds good to me.

tom said...

Adrienne! I'm so glad you started a blog.

One of the things that I really miss over here is microwave popcorn.

Alder Family said...

you're a freakin' riot! I MISS YOU!!! And our crazy caramel corn days--out of the bowl with spoons--such sweet memories!

sue said...

So, how fun that you have joined the bloggers! I love caramel corn, too. When Chris and I are home alone we often make it to eat while we watch a movie. Our version is a stick of butter or margarine, a cup of brown sugar and a quarter of a cup light Karo. I've never used a candy thermometer - just boil it hard for a minute. Hmmm - I feel like I should go make some right now.