Thursday, July 19, 2007

SALSA!

Last night Erica and I met her friend Nakita for salsa dancing at 51 Wharf in the Old Port (Portland). First there was a lesson first for $5 where we were taught the very basics and I learned how to dance the guy's part - the women were outnumbered (big surprise?). I couldn't believe how many people were crammed into this tiny room! The instructor was a riot and made the process easy and entertaining... he and the DJ worked well together - you could tell they do this every week. It was an absolute blast and I am already looking forward to doing it again.


I made a new friend - we'll call him Mr. Clean because he looked a little like Mr. Clean, shaved head and a goatee (a slightly outdated look, but I was willing to move past it for entertainment purposes). After we attempted dancing - he missed the instructional and I only knew the guys part - we talked for the rest of the night. He lives in NY and was here for work... he'll be back in September... He bought me a huge sunflower from the woman who was selling them on the street and I gave him my number... we'll see if he calls. I seem to have a thing for unavailable guys, whether it's location, emotionally/mentally unavailable, or just plain bad news... whatever it is I am like a moth to a flame... or rather I was. Rick and I work on that in therapy I am getting better at recognizing these traits from the get go.


I had forgotten what it was like to not be attached and effort it requires to be noticed in a bigger city (if Portland can be called that). It made me appreciate Bath even more. In Bath I can go to Maxwell's the Shipbuilders Pub straight from the Osprey - maybe change clothes first - without a shower, redoing my hair or make-up, or too much concern about what I am wearing and comfortably fit right in... making too much of an effort to get prettied up would make me stand in a not so good, "trying too hard" kind of way. The downside to this comfort is the selection of available men, there isn't one. Portland is a totally different scene, lots of guys and of course younger,and prettier girls everywhere and it made me feel old at 33. At times it's a painful reminder that I am starting over again and that it will be at least a couple years before I am married again and (dear god, please) having children...

Everything happens for a reason... I have to keep telling myself that.

2 comments:

erin sheely said...

everybody needs to dance sometime! sounds like fun

Corinne said...

The thought of having to look and feel "cute" again terrifies me. WAHOO for getting out of the house!!