Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Nettie

My girlfriend Johnette (I call her Nettie - she calls me Adrie) and I have known each other since we were 11... there have been times where we didn't talk for years and yet when we were together it was like no time had passed at all... the sign of a true friendship. She lives in San Jose with Chad - another person I have known since I lived in California... there was a group of us with quite a history together, that ended fairly traumatically. Johnette and I were talking about the morning I was moved to Utah to live with my dad, step-mom and siblings... it never fails whenever we talk about it we cry... and of course it comes up often I won't get into it now, because I will cry - again. It's funny (kinda?) when I was in California I talked to my dad on the phone and I was telling him how beautiful it was there and he commented on the weather, the sun, the whole atmosphere of California and he said "it makes you wonder why you ever left" and I responded with, "um, we both know why I left... I think we remember pretty clearly why I left" I said it laughing and it still cracks me up... I think he was speaking in generic terms, like why would one leave California - not me specifically. I digress.

Johnette and Chad showed me some finer points of San Jose - we had so much fun. It has changed so much since I lived there... I remember the area they lived in being a little scary back then now it's all cleaned up and full of "luxury apartments/condos". I was able to meet some of their friends, Danny (Chad's boyfriend), Donyele and Katie (Johnette's friends) and they were all so sweet. Here are some photo highlights:



My first night we went to Goosetown to listen/watch kareokee it was a riot! I don't sing (for which everyone is thankful) but I love it when other people do! Pictured below are Johnette & I, Donyele & Mike, Katie & Donyele




On Saturday night we went to Hunters which was pretty crazy! Quite the hot spot :)

Johnette & I at Hunters












Chad & Danny at Hunters



While we were at Hunters we got to meet Hal Sparks from Talk Soup/Queer as Folk he was in town speaking at a fund raiser. He was so nice! I loved him on Talk Soup - haven't seen Queer as Folk yet. Not a big fan of the hair though - it looks much better short... not that he asked me... I wish he would... hahaha



In this picture I had just taken another one of him and he turned to Johnette to introduce himself and he said "hello, blue dot, I'm Hal Sparks" It was pretty funny











Johnette, her friend Donyele and I still at Hunters













3 comments:

Leah said...

I've seen Hal Sparks on VH1 or E! or some show where they were making fun of celebrities (love those). He's really funny.

I recognized Johnette--she's still adorable--but would never have recognized Chad.

Leah said...

Remembering when you were forced to leave California for Utah and your Dad's house still makes me cry, too. That was a tough time for everybody, but especially for you. I'm glad you're still talking to me. :-)

erin sheely said...

i know that it was way hard for you to leave for california but i am glad that i got to know you better when you lived with us.