Friday, April 27, 2007

Toxic Niceness

My Getting In Touch with Your Inner Bitch desk calendar talks about "Toxic Niceness" I love that phrase - Toxic Niceness. I take this as being nice - too nice, just to be too nice... at the detriment of myself.

It suggests that instead of saying no (which is sometimes hard) try saying "I don't think so" Period. No further discussion is needed. I don't need to explain why I can't do something I really don't want to do. That's where the Toxic Niceness comes in - I would usually say yes - even if my gut was saying no :)

For 4/28 and 4/29 it says:
An Inner Bitch Rule of Engagement: State the facts that actually relate to a specific conflict. Your Inner Bitch knows that saving up resentments as ammo for an argument is a sign of Toxic Niceness, so keep the fact that you've done the laundry for the last month out of the discussion about whose turn it is to clean the bathroom.

I am guilty of that... I don't say anything for so long then I just erupt! Something else to work on... My work on myself is becoming a full time job! :)

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Wow do I sometimes need to say no also. I always WANT to help and WANT to participate, but sometimes it is just not realistic

Alder Family said...

ewwww i am super mad...i wrote a brilliant comment to this post and it didn't get published for some reason. oh well. bottom line is this: it's not b****y to find the balance between being helpful--which is really part of who you are--and setting boundaries. AND I like that you have this on your desk so when your boss asks you to do something you can say no. :)